The HSLS Staff News section includes recent HSLS presentations, publications, staff changes, staff promotions, degrees earned, etc.
Michelle Burda, network and advocacy coordinator, NN/LM Middle Atlantic Region, was appointed to the VALUES2 Initiative Committee of the Medical Library Association’s Hospital Section.
Kate Flewelling, outreach coordinator, NN/LM Middle Atlantic Region, was elected chair of the Medical Library Association’s Relevant Issues Section. Flewelling will serve a three year term as chair-elect, chair, and past chair.
Mary Lou Klem, reference librarian, along with co-authors J.G. Marshall1, J. Sollenberger2, S. Easterby-Gannett3, L.K. Morgan4, S.K. Cavanaugh5, K.B. Oliver6, C.A. Thompson7, N. Romanosky8, and S. Hunter9, was awarded the Ida and George Eliot Prize at the May 2014 meeting of the Medical Library Association for their paper, “The Value of Library and Information Services in Patient Care: Results of a Multisite Study,” Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA), 101(1): 38-46, Jan 2013.
- School of Information and Library Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C.;
- Medical Center Libraries and Technologies, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, N.Y.;
- Lewis B. Finn Medical Library, Christiana Care Health System, Newark, Del.;
- Upper Montclair, N.J.;
- University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) Camden Campus Library, Cooper University Hospital, Camden, N.J.;
- Chevy Chase, Md.;
- Howard W. Odum Institute for Social Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C.;
- NYU Health Sciences Libraries, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York University, New York, N.Y.;
- Birnbaum Library, Pace University, NYC Campus, New York, N.Y.
Melissa Ratajeski, reference librarian, was appointed to the Joint Planning Committee for the 2016 Medical Library Association/Canadian Health Library Association/International Clinical Librarian Conference.
Liping Song, metadata librarian, served as editor for Module 31: Remote Access Electronic Serial (Online Serials) and as reviewer for Module 7: Additional Authorized Access Points and Variant Access Points for the Title of the revised CONSER Cataloging Manual.
Michelle Burda, network and advocacy coordinator, NN/LM Middle Atlantic Region, presented “Health Literacy for Children: How to Teach Your Students How to Evaluate Health Information,” at the NCEA 2014 Convention and Expo in Pittsburgh, Pa., on April 23, 2014.
Lydia Collins, consumer health coordinator, NN/LM Middle Atlantic Region, presented “The National Library of Medicine’s Free Health and Science Resources,” at the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association Annual Conference in Hershey, Pa., on May 1, 2014, and “Supporting a Healthy Community,” at the Pennsylvania Library Association: South Central Chapter Meeting in Harrisburg, Pa., on May 13, 2014.
Missy Harvey, technology & communication coordinator, NN/LM Middle Atlantic Region, presented “Geeks Bearing Gifts: Unwrapping New Technology Trends,” at the joint National Catholic Educators Association/Catholic Library Association Conference in Pittsburgh, Pa., on April 22, 2014.
Melissa Ratajeski, reference librarian, along with co-authors John LaDue, knowledge integration librarian, and Ahlam Saleh1, published “Development of a Web-Based Repository for Sharing Biomedical Terminology from Systematic Review Searches: A Case Study,” in Medical Reference Services Quarterly, 33(2): 167-78, 2014.
- Arizona Health Sciences Library, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.