UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences Library System (HSLS) have redefined the scope of HSLS services available to the UPMC community. Effective Monday, February 6, 2012, HSLS services to UPMC will change as described below.
1. Access to E-Resources
UPMC staff will have access to those e-resources for which UPMC provides budget support (listed at the end of this message). UPMC access will be removed from other e-resources not supported by UPMC.
Access to Falk Library of the Health Sciences
Access to Falk Library remains open. UPMC staff may use onsite print books and public study areas. A Pitt ID will be required to borrow books, laptops, or iPads, to request items from storage, to log onto library computers or to reserve group rooms. Pitt guest wireless accounts will not be available to UPMC staff while in the library.
HSLS will not conduct classes or workshops in UPMC facilities. Admission to classes in Falk Library will be limited to those with Pitt IDs.
HSLS information services (e.g. reference consultation, literature searches) will be available only to those with Pitt IDs.
The Ask-A-Librarian button on the HSLS website will be available only to those on the Pitt network. HSLS will provide a mechanism on its home page for UPMC users to report e-resource access problems. Telephone assistance for e-resource access problems will be available during weekday business hours.
Interlibrary loan & document delivery
Services will be available only to individuals with Pitt email accounts.
UPMC clinicians who have University of Pittsburgh email/computer accounts can request HSLS services through their @pitt.edu account. Valid University of Pittsburgh account holders will have no change in services or access. For further information about managing your Pitt account, contact the Pitt Technology Helpdesk at 412-624-HELP  or http://www.technology.pitt.edu/helprequest/ .
If you have a Pitt appointment but no ID card, you can get a photo ID at Panther Central in the Litchfield Towers, open daily from 7:30 a.m.–10 p.m.
If you are not eligible for a Pitt account, and you have questions about how to access UPMC library services, please contact the librarian in your UPMC hospital library. If your hospital or work site does not have an onsite library, please direct questions to your supervisor or program director.
E-Resources Available to UPMC:
- Access Medicine, Access Surgery
- ACP PIER & ACP Journal Club
- Medline (Ovid)
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database
- NCME TV
- OT Search
- AMA Journals
- Elsevier ScienceDirect
- Individual clinical titles not in packages
- Mary Ann Liebert Online
- LWW (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins) Total Access Collection
- Medical Letter
- Journal packages licensed by University of Pittsburgh through the Northeast Research Libraries (NERL) Consortium, including BMJ journals, Clinical Evidence, Cambridge University Press Online, Cochrane Library/Evidence-Based Medicine, Nature, Oxford University Press Online, Sage Premiere, Springer LINK, Thieme Medical Journals, Wiley-Blackwell Journals
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Ovid journals
- King Guide to Parenteral Admixtures
- Ovid E-Books
- MDConsult: Core, Pediatric & Surgery Collections
- Red Book (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- STAT!Ref Books
- Thieme Library