R is a programming language and software environment used for data analysis and/or visualizations. Below are several resources available to help you learn how to use R with your data.
Online training through lynda.pitt.edu (for Pitt users only)
The University provides access to online training via Lynda.com, which includes thousands of videos on topics such as Web design, video editing, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and more, including R.
To date, there are four courses on R, ranging from beginner to intermediate, “organized into chapters and divided into short individual videos, so you can learn a new skill from start to finish or find a quick answer.” Certificates of completion are available.
Selected print books available at Falk Library include:
- Reproducible Research with R and RStudio by Christopher Gandrud
Call number: Q180.55.S7 G36 2015 (Current Collection)
- A Primer in Biological Data Analysis and Visualization Using R by Gregg Hartvigsen
Call number: QA276.45.R3 H37 2014 (Current Collection)
- Clinical Trial Data Analysis Using R by Ding-Geng Chen and Karl E. Peace
Call number: R853.C55 C44 2011
- R Cookbook by Paul Teetor
Call number: QA276.45.R3 T44 2011
See the Borrowing HSLS Materials page for information on borrowing policies.
Online books available through Safari Books Online (for Pitt users only)
There are many titles related to R and other data analysis software and programing languages, such as Python, available through the University Library System’s Safari Books Online subscription, including:
- Learning R Programming by Kun Ren
- R Data Mining Blueprints by Pradeepta Mishra
- Big Data Analytics with R by Simon Walkowiak
- R: Data Analysis and Visualization by Tony Fischetti et al.
To browse this collection: type “safari books online” in the Pitt Resources Quick Search box and then click on Search. On the results page, click on the “Access via Safari for Pitt users” under the Safari books online heading in the HSLS Electronic Resources box.
~ Melissa Ratajeski
Posted in the December 2016 Issue