What is an ERN? An Electronic Research Notebook is a secure, cloud-based platform to organize and manage your research and lab data safely.
Why use LabArchives? Digital notebooks offer features that are not possible with traditional paper lab notebooks.
- Accessible anywhere with an Internet connection, including mobile devices
- Cloud storage with secure backup
- Notebook, folder, and entry-level sharing with colleagues and collaborators, even external to Pitt
- Save multiple file types: text, images, links, references, comments, PDFs, spreadsheets, slides, and more
- Searchable entries by keyword, date, or use
- Sensitive/high-risk data may be included upon consultation with Pitt IT Security
- Traceable history of edits as all versions are saved indefinitely
How to use LabArchives? There are easy ways to start integrating LabArchives into your workflow.
- Collect links to journal articles using PubMed Reference
- Create a lab manual for techniques, methods, protocols, important documents, etc.
- Export files from partner applications such as SnapGene and GraphPad Prism
- Inventory lab supplies using Widgets
- Organize and annotate images
How to access LabArchives? A pitt.edu email account is required (sponsored accounts possible upon request).
- Log in with Pitt Passport to the My Pitt website. Select “Electronic Research Notebooks” in the right column to redirect to LabArchives.
- Sign in directly from the LabArchives website, select University of Pittsburgh from the partner site login, and enter your information on Pitt Passport.
- Download the LabArchives app for iOS or Android to use on your mobile device.
Need help with LabArchives? HSLS librarians are available for classroom or individualized training with: organizing notebooks, setting access permissions, customizing features, sharing notebooks/folders/entries, exporting copies of notebooks, and more. For further information about using LabArchives, please visit:
- HSLS LabArchives Guide
- LabArchives Knowledgebase
- Quick Start Guides
- Training Webinars
- YouTube Videos