The Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database App provides up-to-date, authoritative information on complementary, alternative, and integrative therapies. Data is stored on your mobile device, so you can access the app without an Internet connection.
The Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database App is easy to use and navigation is simple. This all-inclusive reference tool contains:
- Information on approximately 90,000 herbal products, dietary supplements, vitamins, minerals, homeopathic products, and many other natural remedies;
- Multiple databases and interactive features including an Effectiveness Checker, Nutrient Depletion Checker, Natural Product/Drug Interaction Checker, Natural Medicines Brand Evidence-based Ratings, and accredited continuing medical education modules for physicians, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and dieticians.
Links to drug references are available in the full Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, but not the mobile app.
The Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database App is free to download and is available for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch from the iTunes App Store. It requires iOS 5.1 or later. The app is optimized for iPhone 5. The app is also compatible with Android devices running Android 2.1 or later and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
The app is available to Pitt and UPMC users through the HSLS subscription to the full Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. To access the mobile app, you must first create a CE ID# in the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database:
- Visit the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database on the HSLS Web site.
- On the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database home page, click on I Don’t Have a CE ID# in the yellow “CE Login” box on the right side of the page.
- Complete the registration form and then click on Continue at the bottom of the page.
- Verify your information and click on Confirm.
- On the next screen, you’ll see your new CE ID# in red print.
- Once you have downloaded the app, enter your Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database CE ID# and start using the app.
An Internet connection is required for the initial content download and content updates, but is not required to use the app itself.
CE ID#s expire when you are no longer affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh or UPMC.
For more information about the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database App and other mobile friendly versions of HSLS resources, such as Micromedex or UpToDate, direct your browser to the HSLS Mobile Resources Web site. You can also contact the HSLS Main Desk at 412-648-8866 or Ask a Librarian.